Re: lmodern package ready for teTeX 3 and upgrades from sarge

> See also cm-super in debian/sid, which provides a variant of this,
> although much more simple.

I think you didn't look at the right lmodern (the one for teTeX 3).
Also, some comments on your scripts:
  [postinst]
  - you're calling mktexlsr before update-updmap; but update-updmap will
    create map files that updmap will try to locate using kpathsea;
  [postrm]
  - same thing;
  - I think if you purge your package, you will do twice the same thing,
    because dpkg removes before purging;
  - you appear to think nothing should be done on disappear? I think the
    package gets removed and therefore, the map files should be updated
    accordingly;
  - why "exit 0" in case the parameter isn't correct? I think it is a
    serious problem if that happens (dpkg violating Policy...).

> I did install the files into /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts..., as I don't see
> what makes a big difference in installing the fonts or only links.

Because data in /usr/share can be shared among various machines,
whatever their architectures, and this is OK for font files.

> Other font packages also install there.

That doesn't mean they are right. :-)

> What would you suggest? Installing all into /usr/share/fonts/type1 and
> making links to /usr/X11R6/lib/...

In /usr/share where you think it is best. For lmodern,
/usr/share/texmf/fonts/type1/ is convenient for TeX, but if you make the
appropriate links, /usr/share/fonts/type1 is probably even better.

> BTW, you can fix the lintian warnings with a lintian override file.

Yes. Well, theoretically, you should discuss that with the lintian
maintainers before. And if there are dozens of programs like lintian, I
don't want to add hundreds of overrides for their bugs. And it reminds
me there is something weird to keep an eye on (Policy might get an
update on this point some day...).

--
Florent