Re: new cm-super package available, should also work with tetex2

Norbert Preining wrote:

> Thanks for the remarks. Most of the things are already fixed in the
> svn depot.

Thanks.

>> * The dvips option '-Pcm-super' is no longer needed since
>> dvipsPreferOutline is set to true since teTeX 2.
>
> Already fixed.

On probably could simplify this saying that one should use
dvips/pdftex/... as normal.

>> * t1enc.sty is depricated and should be replaced with fontenc.sty
>> with T1 option.
>
> already fixed.

I see that you mention type1ec.sty, which is also included in the
package. It might be worthwhile to also mention fix-cm.sty (comes with
current LaTeX, documented in fixltx2e.dvi) which disables some of the
more uggly cuts of the EC fonts. In principle one could mentione this in
the teTeX docu, too. But it is problematic without Type1 fonts.

>> * Does the plain TeX example really work? Plain TeX expects OT1
>> encoded fonts.
>
> At least onmy system it did work.

It seems to work as far as the example goes. Although using \char for
the characters with hungarumlaut is an ugly hack. But add something like

ß ÿ \l \H{u} \tenrm \l \H{u}

before \end. I am not sure how it is possible to use T1 encoded fonts
with plain TeX.

One further thing. In principle cm-super allows one to switch between
the ß from EC and from CM. This is quite interesting as many peole find
the one from EC quite strange. For this one would have to modify
cm-super-t1.enc. Of course, this is not save, since this isn't a
conffile. One could probably ship an additional enc file and let people
edit the map files, or something like that.

cheerio
ralf