Re: changig fonts used by gs

Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:

> I have made a slightly imporved version of the hints file and written a
> bit of documentation for it. See
> <URL:http://www.tfkp.physik.uni-erlangen.de/~ralf/debian/>

The text sounds good and understandable.

> If anybody wants to test the procedure, I woold be interested in the
> results.

Nice!

> Anyway, question is if I should simply make a web page from this
> (perhaps with 'before' and 'after' screen shots :-), or if it is added
> to the documentation in tetex-bin or tetex-extra (or tex-common, if I
> rewrite it to refer to fonts in teTeX or TeX Live). For sarge users not
> using the teTeX 3 backports are web oage might be good, anyway.

If you create a directory with html files and screenshots, we can
include it in the package, and we can also have it somewhere on the
net.  I think it would be fair to extend that sentence:

,----
| These fonts are an earlier version
| of the fonts provided by the gsfonts package. The latter fonts are
| still in development and therefore sometimes cause problems.
`----

with some nice explanation of the advantages of the gsfonts' version (I
don't know any, but there must be some).

In the case that the gs packages get fixed and start relying on the font
configuration provided by defoma, we could even add a debconf question
whether we should do this change in our maintainer scripts.