Re: changig fonts used by gs

Frank Küster wrote:
> Ralf Stubner <ralf.stubner@web.de> wrote:
>
>> What do you think? I have *not* yet tested this for any unwanted side
>> effects. And I am not sure, if it would be a good idea to make something
>> like this automatically. But providing tex-lw35.hints plus documentation
>>  (and warnings?) might help some users.
>
> Frankly speaking, I don't think much about that except that your
> analysis sounds correct, and that the goal of making alternative fonts
> available to gs is worthwhile.  I don't know much about fonts, and if I
> took the time to learn and try all this, I'd probably come to the same
> conclusions as you.
>
> Need I say more?

Fair enough.

I have made a slightly imporved version of the hints file and written a
bit of documentation for it. See
<URL:http://www.tfkp.physik.uni-erlangen.de/~ralf/debian/>

If anybody wants to test the procedure, I woold be interested in the
results.

Anyway, question is if I should simply make a web page from this
(perhaps with 'before' and 'after' screen shots :-), or if it is added
to the documentation in tetex-bin or tetex-extra (or tex-common, if I
rewrite it to refer to fonts in teTeX or TeX Live). For sarge users not
using the teTeX 3 backports are web oage might be good, anyway.

cheerio
ralf