Re: update-updmap doesn't run

Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> schrieb:

> I ran into trouble with update-updmap.  After adding a file to
> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/ I expected update-updmap to create a new
> file updmap.conf for later use by updmap.
>
> However, with a virgin unstable system this didn`t work with the following
> comment:
>
> openeye:/etc/texmf/dvips# update-updmap
> Didn't run update-updmap as you requested!
> openeye:/etc/texmf/dvips#
>
> The problem is that I didn't request it not to run.

You did - I bet

# debconf-show tetex-bin
[...]
* tetex-bin/upd_map: false

This has to be true if you want to use update-updmap

> So the file is indeed a symbolic link, rendering update-updmap unusable.
> This will at least render arabtex and its fonts unaccessable and hence
> sort of unusable.
>
> I wonder if this is the desired behaviour.

It's the behaviour you desired when you installed it. The default for
this debconf question is true. If you have used a somewhat recent
version of tetex-bin, you have been properly warned:

db_input low tetex-bin/upd_map || true

Template: tetex-bin/upd_map
Type: boolean
Default: true
 The file updmap.cfg is the central configuration file for fonts
 system of TeX.  Automatic generation is recommended to make the setup work
 with fonts packages of TeX.
 [...]
 REMARK: Automatic installation of TeX fonts will fail in this case.

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie