Re: update-updmap doesn't run

On 01.08.04 Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org) wrote:

Hi,

> I ran into trouble with update-updmap.  After adding a file to
> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/ I expected update-updmap to create a new
> file updmap.conf for later use by updmap.
>
> However, with a virgin unstable system this didn`t work with the
> following comment:

virgin unstable system? question: during configure you were asked,
whether you want to maintain you updmap.cfg using update-updmap or
manually. The default answer is yes. In this case
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg will be a file and updmap.cfg doesn't
even exist in /etc (or rather a backup called updmap.cfg.dpkg-old).
If /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg is soft link it will be removed
and will be regenerated.

> openeye:/etc/texmf/dvips# update-updmap
> Didn't run update-updmap as you requested!
> openeye:/etc/texmf/dvips#
>
> The problem is that I didn't request it not to run.  Investigating
> the problem the source is:

May be you gave the wrong answer during debconf.

> However, with a virgin unstable system this didn`t work with the following
> comment:
>
> VARD=/var/lib/texmf/web2c
> if [ -L "${VARD}/updmap.cfg" ]; then
>     echo "Didn't run update-updmap as you requested!"
>     exit 0
> fi
>
> On a virgin sid system
>
> openeye:/etc/texmf/dvips# ls -l /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 21 Jun  1  2003 /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg -> /etc/texmf/updmap.cfg
> openeye:/etc/texmf/dvips#
>
> So the file is indeed a symbolic link, rendering update-updmap unusable.
> This will at least render arabtex and its fonts unaccessable and hence
> sort of unusable.
>
> I wonder if this is the desired behaviour.

It is the not recommended behaviour, but it should be necessary if
anybody wants to maintain his updmap.cfg manually.

H.
--
Hatred, n.:
	A sentiment appropriate to the occasion of another's superiority.