tetex-bin's postinst: Why the testing?

Hi,

before we call texconfig in tetex-bin's postinst (the call I'd like to
replace with fmtutil --all; texlinks), we test whether the binary is
there:

if [ -e $TEXCONFIG_P -a -e /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config ]
then

without an else branch.

As far as I can see, if these files are missing, we are in big trouble,
and the same holds for the replacements I want to make: The executables
are part of tetex-bin itself, the config directory comes from
tetex-base. If these files are missing upon installation, the deb has
been corrupted. And if they are missing during a dpkg-reconfigure, the
only sensible choice would be to reinstall the package.

Therefore I think it would be best to make postinst fail completely
under such circumstances, and just kicking out the test would be one
simple way. IIRC the "no such file or directory" message will be
displayed by dpkg, which also gives a good indication what is going
wrong.

Can anybody give a rationale for this test? Was there an else branch
long ago?

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie