Re: [tetex-3.0] beta for tetex-3.0, release plan for Debian packages?

Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> schrieb:

> I got tetex-texmf-20040208.tar.gz and investigated it
> a bit today.  The directory structure of map files and
> enc files was changed and I suspect it might need some
> work to handle it correctly but generally I felt it could
> be packaged smoothly.

I had the same impression, but I didn't do much more than inject it into
my private CVS. Oh yes, I did something: I changed debian/rules to be
more modular (install now depends on a bunch of targets included from
debian/rules.d/installtargets.mk) in order to make maintenance
easier. Easier for me, that is to say. Don't know whether others
appreciate this, too. I can provide it as a patch against 2.0.2.

> I didn't yet investigated tetex-src-20040208.tar.gz, i.e.
> tetex-bin in Debian so I'm not sure but I guess it might
> be real issue now to make a branch for 2.0.2 (stable).
> (I'll investigate it tomorrow, perhaps)
>
> What is your status, Frank?  Did you alredy package them?

Yes, with tetex-bin I'm way farther. I have something that can be
transferred to an other machine as orig.tar.gz, dsc and diff.gz and runs
through dpkg-buildpackage without errors. But I didn't test it at all.

One major issue is that libkpathsea has a new soname, libkpathsea.so.4
Since many packages will want to link against libkpathsea3, we will have
to provide a legacy package for them. I have made one from the sources
of tetex-bin_2.0.2, in the following way:

- Unpack orig.tar.gz and remove ./libs, ./utils and every directory
  under ./texk except contrib, etc, kpathsea, make, web2c. in
  ./texk/web2c, only cwebdir, doc, lib, man, mpware, opts, tiedir,
  triptrap, web2c and window are left. Then I renamed the directory to
  libkpathsea3-2.0.2 and retarred it.

This can probably made even smaller, I didn't really test, and with some
tweaking one can for sure get rid of directories that are now used (like
web2c/man) but not needed for the package.

- Then I changed the install directory from debian/tetex-bin to
  debian/tmp in debian/rules, removed all stuff that fiddled around with
  tetex-bin and removed debian/tmp after dh_movefiles. Well, and some
  minor adjustments.

Well, the files contained in the libraries are the same in my packages
and in the ones derived from tetex-bin (besides an additional
README.Debian), so we can use it should we upload libkpathsea4. All
further adjustments are mere cosmetics, I hope - reducing orig.tar.gz to
the minimal necessary size, etc. I bumped the standards version to
3.6.1.0. This required one change and one bug ;-). The bug is that
changelog should be utf-8 encoded, but it isn't. Don't even know whether
this makes a difference as long as there are only ASCII characters in
it; anyway I'd like this to be done in our CVS on gluck, not here -
don't know how the transfer will affect this.

The files can be obtained from http://people.debian.org/~frank/

As for tetex-bin-2.95 itself: After updating debian/patches (I also
wrote debian/rules.d/patchtargets.mk which allows to apply patches,
edit/resolve conflicts and recreate them again) and accounting for the
name changes in libkpathsea, there were no real problems before
dpkg-buildpackage ran without errors. This doesn not mean that the
package makes sense, though. Probably a lot of the maintenance
infrastructure is broken.

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie