[tetex-3.0] beta for tetex-3.0, release plan for Debian packages?

Hi all,

as you might have noticed, tetex-3.0 is coming near to a release. In
fact Thomas Esser said on February, 9th:

,----
| The precise release date depends on the feedback of the tests and the
| date of the next LaTeX release. But, I think that an estimatied time
| of one or two months before the 3.0 release is reasonable.
`----

The other problem is that there is no release plan for sarge. If sarge
is released in the next two or three months, I see no real chance to get
tetex-3.0 in. If it takes until autumn 2004, however, it would be really
a pity if sarge came with tetex-2.

It seems some people have yet looked at the source (at least Hilmar and
I have downloaded it). I would suggest that we try to coordinate our
work. I am at the stage that I have checked in the new sources for
tetex-base into my private CVS - however it would be great if we'd have
it in the official CVS, too, probably by making a branch for tetex-2.0.2
and make the beta (currently 2.95.0.20040208) HEAD.

I would suggest that we first concentrate on getting a running Version,
which could be uploaded to experimental as soon as tetex-3.0 is released
(if we're ready by then, of course). I would advice to defer any efforts
for further/different splitting[1] until we have adapted the
infrastructure.

Any comments?

Regards, Frank

P.S. I just got my Debian account. I'm not yet familiar with all the
machines and infrastructure. But if you want, you can count on my help
for the experimental uploads and the like.

Footnotes:

[1] I really mean _further_ splitting, like tetex-base-doc. The
type1fonts-stuff should be done in tetex-2 and taken over to 3, I think.
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie