Re: lmodern fonts and sarge

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> The test package I prepared only registers lmr12. The next lmodern
> upload will presumably also register the 56 remaining (.afm, .pfb) pairs
> if I don't hear any opposition to the addition of defoma support.

Ups! I wasn't thinking very hard when i wrote that. There are very
similar (scalable!) fonts among these 56 (.afm, .pfb) pairs: for
instance, lmr9 and lmr10. It appears that the size that has most
"variants" is 10. There are 22 fonts in this size:

lmb10
lmbo10
lmbx10
lmbxi10
lmbxo10
lmcsc10
lmcsco10
lmr10
lmri10
lmro10
lmss10
lmssbo10
lmssbx10
lmssdc10
lmssdo10
lmsso10
lmtcsc10
lmtt10
lmtti10
lmtto10
lmvtt10
lmvtto10

So, my intention is to register these ones and not for instance lmr12.
I've already done it for some of them and am testing the resulting setup
with gnome-character-map.

It is not optimal but also not too bad, i.e., in the combo box, you can
chose a family name such as LMRoman10, LMSlanted10, LMCaps10, etc. (this
is the PostScript ``/FamilyName'' of the font) and gnome-character-map
is able[1] to see when bold and italic variants are available for this
family (but this doesn't work for slanted, which is treated as a
separate family).

So, if I select for instance LMSlanted10 as the family and don't
activate any of the Bold and Italic buttons, the characters that are
present in the font are displayed with lmcsc10. If I activate Bold,
nothing changes[2] since there is no such font. But if I activate
Italic, the available characters are displayed with lmcsco10 (thanks to
the substitution mechanism I suppose, since it really is oblique, not
italic).

[1] I suppose this comes from the integration of fontconfig and defoma.

[2] For the characters that are present in the font; missing characters
    are displayed in another font that has them and has a bold variant.

--
Florent