Re: Copyright for font files.

Piotr Roszatycki <Piotr_Roszatycki@netia.net.pl> schrieb:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, [iso-8859-15] Frank Küster wrote:
>> > My question: what is the copyright of these fonts? The source for the
>> > fonts are *.pbf files. The fonts are cmex10, cmmi10, cmr10, cmsy10,
>> > msam10, msbm10, wasy10.
>> >
>> > PS. Please Cc me. I'm not on that mailing list.
>>
>> is there any information available about the copyright of fonts in
>> tetex, besides the statements in individual files? These are not very
>> clear - there's been some discussion about that on debian-legal when the
>> DFSG-freeness off LPPL was discussed. See e.g.
>>
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200208/msg00061.html
>>
>> (just in case you didn't know. Probably you do, and don't want to look
>> at it...)
>
> I.e.
>
> cmex10.pbf:
>
> Copyright (C) 1997 American Mathematical Society.  All Rights Reserved.
>
> cmex10.mf
>
> % THIS IS THE OFFICIAL COMPUTER MODERN SOURCE FILE cmex10.mf BY D E KNUTH.
> % IT MUST NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY UNLESS THE FILE NAME IS CHANGED!
>
> Is it enough for copyright file?

Most probably not.

> Is this font is DFSG compatible?

You can read tons of mails about that on debian-legal's archive. I
didn't, but as far as I know the short answer is: If we accept these two
sentences as the only license information, NO. If we take into account
other statements of DEK, yes.

> BTW, Debian source packages are at
> http://people.debian.org/~dexter/latex-xft-fonts/

Thank you.

Bye, Frank

P.S. I'm taking out Thomas from this conversation. I suppose he isn't
too much interested in debian-legal stuff, and he can read it in the
archive if he is.
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie