Re: Debian packages for TeXlive?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Marco Kuhlmann wrote:

>     Hi ya.

Hi Marco,

> Sebastian Rahtz some time ago proposed to manage the 50+
> collections of the TeXlive distribution as Debian packages. He

I have no knowledge about whether this is reasonable or not. Below are
just some technical remarks on the problems.

> Sebastian to me mentioned three major problems:
>
>     - conflicts with tetex, and packages that depend on it,

This might be a real problem. It's in general solvable in two ways:
1. If TeXlive includes enough of teTeX for all packages depending on
   teTeX you could make the right (meta-?)packages of TeXlive provide the
   tetex-* packages and replacing them with TeXlive would be no problem.
2. If the TeXlive packages will go into the Debian distribution you can
   ask the maintainers of packages that depend on the tetex-* packages to
   make their dependencies "tetex-foo | texlive-bar".

>     - packaging of binaries,

Where's the _technical_ problem with this?

>     - not enough dependency information.

Dependency information for what? If you mean dependency information on
system packages like libwww it's enough to have these library packages
installed to get the right dependency information automatically when
building the TeXlive packages.

>     Cheers,
>     Marco

cu
Adrian

--

Get my GPG key: finger bunk@debian.org | gpg --import

Fingerprint: B29C E71E FE19 6755 5C8A  84D4 99FC EA98 4F12 B400