Debian packages for TeXlive?

    Hi ya.

Sebastian Rahtz some time ago proposed to manage the 50+
collections of the TeXlive distribution as Debian packages. He
did some pre-testing with a script that from the XML file
describing a collection would build a deb.

As I am quite interested in getting TeXlive integrated into
Debian in a cleaner way than is possible today, I wonder about
whether or not packaging TeXlive would be a Good Thing (tm) and
about the main problems that such a project would involve.

Sebastian to me mentioned three major problems:

    - conflicts with tetex, and packages that depend on it,
    - packaging of binaries,
    - not enough dependency information.

Any comments on this would be appreciated. I saw a request
regarding this issue in October, but not much response on that.

    Cheers,
    Marco

--
Marco Kuhlmann                                      mk@debian.org