Re: New upload of tetex-bin

From: Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de>
Subject: Re: New upload of tetex-bin
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:02:32 +0200 (CEST)

> > There would be some users who write and read English documents
> > mainly but want to write or read Japanese documents in some cases.
> > (someone who speaks English but learns Japanese, for example)
>
> The most interesting question is: Can the patches in xdvik-ja and
> dvipsk-ja get integrated upstream? If yes, this would make all these
> things obsolete.

It is the best solution, I agree.  Well, in fact, I can not tell
if they can get integrated upstream or not.

But ASCII pTeX extends TFM so much because Japanese fonts should
contain several thousands characters (not 256 nor 512 characters).

These patches make xdvi/dvips to be able to handle such fonts.

Furthermore, I am not sure but perhaps xdvik-ja/dvipsk-ja can
not handle other two bytes fonts like Chinese etc.

So I am afraid upstream might reject the patches.  But this is
only my guess.

> > xdvi-ja.small has a smaller buttons than the normal xdvi
> > and this is very convenient where the normal xdvi would not
> > display all buttons within a console (for example in laptop PC).
>
> Is this a problem that is specific to the japanese xdvi?

Of course no, but it is difficult for me to cut off the patch of
small buttons from japanization patch.  But this might be worth
to try...

Best Regards,				'01.7.7

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.