Re: New upload of tetex-bin

From: Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de>
Subject: New upload of tetex-bin
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:29:50 +0200 (CEST)

> Hi,

Hi Adrian,

> I plan to remove the use of update-alternatives because the only other
> package that installs a xdvi is xdvik-ja and this package can use
> dpkg-divert the same way as dvipsk-ja does instead

Great!  I have gotten so many requests that the command
name "xdvi" should call the binary of xdvik-ja if one
installed xdvik-ja.  dpkg-divert might solve the problem
for many users in Japan.

But, if possible, please think of the followings.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess update-alternatives for /usr/bin/xdvi might
have advantages in some points than dpkg-divert.

There would be some users who write and read English documents
mainly but want to write or read Japanese documents in some cases.
(someone who speaks English but learns Japanese, for example)

For that kind of user, "xdvi" should be of tetex-bin even if
he installed xdvik-ja.  update-alternatives can provide this
environment but dpkg-divert can not, IMHO.

Furthermore, if you look into xdvik-ja carefully, you will
find out two binaries, xdvi-ja and xdvi-ja.small

xdvi-ja.small has a smaller buttons than the normal xdvi
and this is very convenient where the normal xdvi would not
display all buttons within a console (for example in laptop PC).

In this case update-alternatives will work but dpkg-divert
will not.

But, Adrian, I believe dpkg-divert will be much better
than the present situation so if update-alternatives is
too heavy, I think dpkg-divert is okay.

Best Regards,		       2001.7.6

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.