Method showToolbar is not called was: Question regarding package mozilla-plugin-vlc

As I don't know how to debug a shared library, I put the line:

 fprintf( stderr, "Method set_player_window executed\n") ;

in method set_player_window before line 283 in file: vlcplugin.cpp

and - after make and make install - call iceweasel from the terminal

I really get an output:

[0xb079d940] main interface debug: thread (interface) created at priority 0 (interface/interface.c:151)

Method set_player_window executed
*** LibVLC Exception not handled: Input is NULL
Set a breakpoint in 'libvlc_exception_not_handled' to debug.
[0xb07a7630] main input debug: Creating an input for 'MyVideo.mpg

When cutting out the line and inserting it in method showToolbar -

Text changed to: "Method getAbsoluteURL executed\n" -

before line 613, I get no output, that means that method is not called at all.

What is the calling program? Iceweasel? then it is likely that the bug is not in vlc, but in Iceweasel or XUL.

I am not sure whether the error message: *** LibVLC Exception not handled: Input is NULL

also has to do with the problem.

David schrieb:
Is the vlc plugin not yet ready, or has it a bug?

My system is Debian squeeze, i386 distribution.

When calling an xhtml file with embedded mpeg, it plays but there are no control elements such as volume control, a bar for jumping forward and backward etc. at bottom of the video ...