Re: apt-get upgrade... xserver-xorg gone ... then system corruption

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 08:34:39PM +1200, Stephen McGregor wrote:

> This is - was - just a standard apt-get update/upgrade.
> But it came up with a warning -
>     if xserver-xorg is no longer installed  when this finishes,
>     install xorg to fix;
> it wasn't so I did.

> Then in a situation where apt-get -f install just crashed out (see
> following), and changing anything in aptitude didn;t have any effect.
> dpkg --configure -a produced "you have been hit by a truck" type
> output.  (see following)

> These first two are to ameliorate some other problems. The first only
> helps some of the way. The second was in response to an instruction
> to clear out /usr/X11R6/bin

> ...ok....

> [ ROOT ]/home/me > ln -s    /usr/X11R6/include/X11       /usr/include
> [ ROOT ]/home/me > mkdir /usr/X11R6/bin

In other words, you've tampered with system-owned directories.

Don't do that.

> Preparing to replace x11-common 6.9.0.dfsg.1-6 (using
> .../x11-common_1%3a7.0.20_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.0.20_i386.deb (--unpack):
>  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.0.20_i386.deb
> [ ROOT ]/home/me >

This may have been a direct result of your recreating /usr/X11R6/bin above.

Of course, only because there's a nasty bug in x11-common's maintainer
script; I've committed a fix for this.

> then, as I saw recently suggested dpkg --configure -a.

> Note
> (1) I am trying to install x11-common  1:7.0.20

But this version has not been unpacked because the preinst script failed.
So the only available version to be configured is the old one.

> (2) I specifically made /usr/include/X11 just above (there is a
> report comming up that it (no longer) exists)

Yes, because the symlink is *supposed* to go away when upgrading to xorg
7.0, replaced by a directory.

> [ ROOT ]/home/me > dpkg --configure -a
<snip>

So there's no point in debugging this one, because this will only help you
go backwards, not forwards.

> What type of approach should I take ?

Ideally, you would file a bug report on the x11-common package with
information from a *clean* upgrade attempt -- i.e., without recreating
directories or symlinks that you think are supposed to be there.  If it
still fails, we should hopefully be able to at least get an idea why.

Cheers,