Re: GRUB splashimage

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 09:05 am, Jason Martens wrote:
> Mr Mike wrote:

> that works w/out f'ing up my system...  but all the images look like
> crap...  REAL grainie...  like a colored pixel every 100th one..  you
> can't even tell what the image is supposed to look like..

> 14 colors and xpm format then and put into /boot/grub/ ...  UUMMMM....
> what the heck is wrong??  I'm sure it's the image but I'm following all
> the criteria I can find and rebooting OVER AND OVER just to test
> different image formats isn't a very good option...

> |>Mike, try the attached image.  It is working on my system perfectly.
> |

> | It did...  it worked absolutely great...  Now if I can only create one
> myself <g>
> | Can you tell me what specs you used?  I used the gimp, indexed colors
> to 14 and saved as png (cause my gimp claims xpm plugin won't save it).
> | Once saved as ping, use image magic (convert filename.png
> filename.xpm) then qzip filename.xpm and wind up with filename.xpm.gz to
> use.  Unfortunately, they never seem to turn out like yours..
> |
> Well, I didn't create the image myself (or if I did, it was too long ago
> now).  This is probably not it, but I'm not familiar with the qzip
> command.  What happens if you use "gzip filename.xpm"?
>
> Jason

Once again I jump the gun....  I 'tested' the image by going into the grub command line and looking at the image that way before actually putting it into my configuration (menu.lst).  Ok...  it looked fine that way, but after I edited the cfg file and rebooted, all I had was a black screen...  Waited 15 seconds and grub auto-booted the last kernel i used...  the screen was totally 'f...ed' up for about half the process then cleared up and went on happily about its business...

Needless to say, I commented out that splashimage line the first chance i had..

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the initial video mode used?  I have no idea how to change it but willing to learn.. <g>

later..
mike

--
Cheers: Mike

.. Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...

Television -
"People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."
...Darryl F. Zanuck, head of Twentieth Century-Fox, 1946.