Re: Upgrade Problems

Adam

> The solution is to fully upgrade to sarge as stable first, then
> upgrade from there to etch if desired. See the thread at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/09/msg00043.html for a
> similar situation.

Ran the upgrade to Debian Sarge and that worked fine. Thank you.

After that I changed sources.list and ran the update for testing.
Also installed the 2.6.12 kernel when I found out that it was
available.  The problem I always have is that since I like to use
Nvidia cards on my workstation I find that after a major upgrade the
desktop can vanish only to leave a black screen. Something went wrong
when I started the box with the 2.6.12 kernel.  No desktop.  Nvidia
drivers didn't load up.  So, I restarted with the 2.6.8 kernel and
everything is fine..........

Nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 5 (level, low) -> IRQ 5
NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-6111  Tue Jul
27 07:55:38 PDT 2004

So, although Nvidia on Debian can be a bit like the old fashioned cats
whisker on ham radio it's working for me. Think I'll ask some
questions on the KDE list about updating my desktop.  I've still got
the KDE 3.3.2 desktop and it might be that I can use the 3.4
desktop...

#apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
<hundreds of them> ..........
 kaboodle kaddressbook kalarm kalzium kamera kandy kappfinder karbon
karm kasteroids kate katomic
  kaudiocreator kbabel kbackgammon kbarcode kbattleship kblackbox
kbounce kbruch kbugbuster kcachegrind
  kcalc kcharselect kchart kcoloredit kcontrol kcron kdat kde-i18n-de
kde-i18n-engb kde-i18n-fr kde-i18n-ja
  kdeadmin kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdeartwork

<Gnome as well>

#0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 684 not upgraded.

--
Richard

www.sheflug.co.uk