Re: Upgrade Problems

On Thursday, November 17, 2005 2:20 PM, Carl Fink <carl@fink.to> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 11:38:09AM +0000, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
>
>> I'm using the 2.6.8 kernel to boot the machine. Thought I should
>> explain that.  Does anyone know what to do to complete the upgrade
>> without killing the complete system altogether ?  I don't want to go
>> any further without consulting someone else.
>
> For starters, report it as a bug in apt.

Please don't. It's got absolutely nothing to do with apt.

> No, it isn't an apt bug, but
> you need to get the Release Manager for Sarge involved -- that's a
> bad thing to happen.

The chances of the release team needing to be involved at this stage are
minimal. It sounds like Richard currently has a version of Sarge from when
it was still "testing", and is effectively trying to upgrade from that to
etch, which is unsupported.

The solution is to fully upgrade to sarge as stable first, then upgrade from
there to etch if desired. See the thread at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/09/msg00043.html for a similar
situation.

If that doesn't work then there might be a problem, but we'd need more
detail in that case - version numbers of the affected packages, for
instance.

Regards,

Adam