partimage removed from sarge

I am preparing for the upgrade from woody to sarge. Currently I am using partimage from unstable on my laptop without any problems. I would like to continue using it on our workstation cluster -- also in order not to loose any existing backups on an upgrade.

Why was partimage removed from sarge?
Is it recommendable to include partimage or other packages from unstable in a working environment?
Are there any alternatives to backup M$-Partitions?

If not, it would imply that sarge is uninstallable on our workstations, since the current backup scheme (including M$-partitions) breaks down.

Thanks for the help,

Johannes Wiedersich