Re: partimage removed from sarge

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 02:15:11PM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> I am preparing for the upgrade from woody to sarge. Currently I am using
> partimage from unstable on my laptop without any problems. I would like
> to continue using it on our workstation cluster -- also in order not to
> loose any existing backups on an upgrade.

Well, you can still use the woody version of the package. The upgrade
will not remove it.

> Why was partimage removed from sarge?

Apparently because it does not work with 2.6 kernels, see bug #270272.

> Is it recommendable to include partimage or other packages from unstable
> in a working environment?

Not exactly recommendable, but if the partimage package work for you,
you can install it. Do it now since, after the release, sid packages might
require a glibc upgrade to be installable.

> Are there any alternatives to backup M$-Partitions?

Probably. At least mindi should be able to do that.

> If not, it would imply that sarge is uninstallable on our workstations,
> since the current backup scheme (including M$-partitions) breaks down.

Well, you can always compile partimage or the Debian package yourself,
or use the woody version.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>