Re: [atrus@debian.spam.rifetech.com: sarge upgrade issue. perl 5.6->5.8 and libdb4]

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 01:03:57PM -0500, Bill Allombert wrote:
>On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 07:03:51PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
>> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 10:24, Bill Allombert wrote:
>> > Should we put a note about this in the release notes ?
>>
>> If it is an confirmed issue, sure.
>
>It is, for example spamassassin README.Debian include the following:
>
>   Upgrading from perl5.6:
>   -----------------------
>
>   There is a issue with DB_File that causes old Bayes databases and
>   automatic whitelists to no longer be read with perl5.8.
>
>   From the perl 5.8 changelog:
>
>     * NOTE: DB_File now uses libdb4.0 (previously libdb2). Any DB_File
>       databases created with earlier perl packages will need to be
>       upgraded before being used with the current module with the
>       db4.0_upgrade program (in the libdb4.0-util package, with HTML
>       docs in db4.0-doc).
>
>   The fix is to delete your automatic whitelist and bayes dbs from
>   ~/.spamassassin/, or use the db4.0_upgrade program as explained above.
>
>Actually current perl use db4.2: From the perl changelog:
>  * DB_File now uses to db4.2 (previously db4.0; closes: #240771).
>
>Yes, a comment from the perl maintainers would be welcome.

Berkeley DB's lack of any semblance of backward portability of user's
data is particularly annoying.

A big horking warning in the release notes is certainly appropriate,
given that affects more than just perl.  spamassassin and bogofilter are
two which spring to mind, but given the output of:

  apt-cache rdepends libdb4.1 libdb4.2 libdb4.3

there are quite a few packages which may be affected.  I'm not sure at
which points Berkely DB requires upgrading, but it would be worth
finding out and determining a full list of those packages which will
require user data to be upgraded.

--bod