Re: [atrus@debian.spam.rifetech.com: sarge upgrade issue. perl 5.6->5.8 and libdb4]

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 07:03:51PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 10:24, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Should we put a note about this in the release notes ?
>
> If it is an confirmed issue, sure.

It is, for example spamassassin README.Debian include the following:

   Upgrading from perl5.6:
   -----------------------

   There is a issue with DB_File that causes old Bayes databases and
   automatic whitelists to no longer be read with perl5.8.

   From the perl 5.8 changelog:

     * NOTE: DB_File now uses libdb4.0 (previously libdb2). Any DB_File
       databases created with earlier perl packages will need to be
       upgraded before being used with the current module with the
       db4.0_upgrade program (in the libdb4.0-util package, with HTML
       docs in db4.0-doc).

   The fix is to delete your automatic whitelist and bayes dbs from
   ~/.spamassassin/, or use the db4.0_upgrade program as explained above.

Actually current perl use db4.2: From the perl changelog:
  * DB_File now uses to db4.2 (previously db4.0; closes: #240771).

Yes, a comment from the perl maintainers would be welcome.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.