dhcp-client problems with host-only route to the default gateway ?

Hi,

I maintain a server which is located at an ISP who uses the following
network-setup, announced via dhcp:

- host route to gateway (with netmask 255.255.255.255)
- default route through the gateway

All four dhcp-clients in sarge cannot cope with these settings, they set a
network route to the gateway machine first, which fails, so the gateway is
unreachable. -> no net at all :-(

Fortunatly it's possible to use serial console over ssh there and it's also
easily possible to reinstall woody (triggered from a webpage). They use a
modified dhcp-client in their woody install which doesnt have the above
problem.
I'm fairly sure I have tested it with the debian woody dhcp client, which also
has the above described problems.

Can anyone confirm that woody clients can or cannot cope with this setup ? If
they can, this would be a bug and regression, if they cannot it would only be
a bug.

(I worked around the problem and it's not my server, so I couldnt test it in
as much detail as I wanted. Now I try to avoid setting up this test scenario
by asking for your experiences with host-only routes to gateways... If noone
answers I know what I have to do ;)

regards,
	Holger