Re: XFree86 upgrade

Gene Heskett wrote:

Doubtfull on real docs, as it should be pretty simple. Make a copy of /etc/X11 someplace else, and a copy of /usr/X11R6 someplace else and you should have it covered. Follow the build directions for x.org's version exactly and it should Just Work(TM) although you may have to go find a copy of 'lndir' as I'm not sure its on all distros by default.

FWIW, if you can build from scratch, you can build the nonstandard
X software and install it someplace like /usr/local.  Then, with some
judicious setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ld.so.config and PATH variables
you can use the new one entirely.  I used to work on X, and this is
what I did pretty much all the time.  It seemed to work pretty well
for me.  I never changed the debian installation at all.  You would
probably have to put the configuration files for the nonstandard
files someplace like /usr/local/etc.  All of these locations can
be set by the X configuration files.

Now, when I was doing this, I was the only user of that machine.
I don't know how it would work if you had multiple users, some
of whom use the standard version and some of whom use the nonstandard
version.  I don't know how that would work out.

--
Codex Gratia Codici	   http://www.haveyounoshame.org
Bill White                 bill.white@griggsinst.com