Re: XFree86 upgrade

Gene Heskett wrote:

On Saturday 14 May 2005 17:09, gustavo halperin wrote:
elton@pop4.nl wrote:
On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 08:10:29PM +0200, gustavo halperin wrote:
There are any reason because of what the last
Debian-package-XFree-version is
the 4.3.x and not the 4.4.x or the new one 4.5.0 ?
Yes, the people at xfree changed the license starting with version
4.4. A lot of distributions decided not to ship xfree 4.4.
See http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/02/18/131223.shtml?tid=104
for example.

Regards,
Elton
OK, I see, thanks.
So what now ?, which  X server will be used in the future for the
new drivers?
maybe the one from X.org ??

I think thats the general consensus, although debian is dragging their feet quite heavily. I'm running a locally built x.org-6.8.1 here, with no complaints. Thats not quite the latest, but my general thoughts are not to fix something thats not broken.
OK, thanks.
One more question, If I install the x.org or any newer version of the XFree,
how I can back up my old XFree, I mean which directories and/or files I need
to save in order to return theme if any problem happen with the newer X.
The are any documentation some there of how do it ???

Thank you.

  Gustavo Halperin

Thanks
Gustavo