Re: XFree86 upgrade

On Sunday 15 May 2005 16:14, gustavo halperin wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>OK, I see, thanks.
>>>So what now ?, which  X server will be used in the future for the
>>>new drivers?
>>>maybe the one from X.org ??
>>
>>I think thats the general consensus, although debian is dragging
>> their feet quite heavily.  I'm running a locally built x.org-6.8.1
>> here, with no complaints.  Thats not quite the latest, but my
>> general thoughts are not to fix something thats not broken.
>
>OK, thanks.
>One more question, If I install the x.org or any newer version of
> the XFree, how I can back up my old XFree, I mean which directories
> and/or  files I need
>to save in order to return theme if any problem happen with the
> newer X. The are any documentation some there of how do it ???
>
> Thank you.
>
>   Gustavo Halperin
>
>>>Thanks
>>> Gustavo

Doubtfull on real docs, as it should be pretty simple.  Make a copy
of /etc/X11 someplace else, and a copy of /usr/X11R6 someplace else
and you should have it covered.  Follow the build directions for
x.org's version exactly and it should Just Work(TM) although you may
have to go find a copy of 'lndir' as I'm not sure its on all distros
by default.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)