Re: Installing Debian Sarge with a ZyXel USB Modem (Prestige 630)

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 11:10:12PM +0100, Bruhin wrote:
> Justin Pryzby wrote:

> >> Broadband connection? --->yes (ADSL)
> >> Yes i have the 100MB Sarge net install CD.
> >> There is no other distro installed yet.
> >> You will have to make sure that it recognizes the card, first ---->
> >> I have no card installed. It is a USB modem.
> >>
> (http://www.ndo.com/ndo/Support/ZyXel_USB_Modem_(Prestige_630)/supndousbmodem.html)
> >> Which kernel module should i take for this modem?
> > Its not wireless, is it?  The only reference I can find to Zyxel
> > (in the kernel) is for a wireless card.  I would just boot it up,
> > and immediately try to get an IP address (skipping a few
> > installation steps, possible working in expert mode).  I donno how
> > good the hardware autodetection is on recent CDs.  If you don't
> > get an IP immediately, try reading dmesg (after pressing alt+f2)
> > to see if it says anything about the "card" (device, whatever).

> No it's not wireless.I can't get an IP address.  Dmesg sees no USB
> modem (card or device). I see only the USB printer or the USB
> scanner.
:^/

You might try going back to VT#2 and cd /lib/modules (or
/target/lib/modules, or whatever it happens to be) and modprobe or
insmod everything that looks relevent.  I didn't have any luck
googling your device WRT linux support.

Did I already suggest booting with a different kernel?  I think you
can boot with at least 2.4 and 2.6; they may have different hardware
support.  And, if you are guaranteed to be able to get network working
later (with a different kernel, or a kernel patch, or userspace driver
or anything else), you could just do a non-net install and then copy
the necessary files by CD to bring up the network.