Re: Sarge nvidia: too low resolution

Well. Ex....cellent!

Thanks for all your tips, which helped me focus on my XF86Config-4.

I found out that the suggested resolutions in the SubSection "Display" under Section "Screen" were a bit messy. Even though my wanted resolution were there, it apparently wasn't set in the right order.

If the "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" had solved this in the first place I wouldn't had learned all this stuff about XF86Config-4 ;o) This is said with smile. I don't know if there is supposed to exist a perfect automatic config tool.

Regards
Søren

PS. Now I'm getting my first Debian ever to work better and better. It's a keeper.

Jason Martens wrote:
Søren Dyrsting wrote:

Thanks for all the answers. None worked. A part of my XF86Config-4

listed below, where I have tried different settings. The settings for HorizSync and VertRefresh are taken from my screen manual.

I will keep on trying. The funny thing is that some tool named

xf86conf or something, actually can display it self in the right resolution but it writes to the wrong config file and it disconnects my mouse and keyboard.

A kingdom for my XF86Config-4 from my previous deleted linux

installation :o)

 Thanks again. I will keep you posted if I figure it out.
 Still open for suggestions.

 Section "Device"
 Identifier "Standard Video Kort"
 Driver "nvidia"
 Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
 EndSection

 Section "Monitor"
 Identifier "L1715S"
 HorizSync 30-83
 VertRefresh 56-75
 #Option "DPMS"
 EndSection

Why is DPMS commented out?  On most modern monitors, DPMS will query
the monitor for the correct refresh rates.

 Section "Screen"
 Identifier "Default Screen"
 Device "Standard Video Kort"
 Monitor "L1715S"
 DefaultDepth 16
 SubSection "Display"

 Miroslav Maiksnar wrote:

 Try adding following line in "Device" section:

 Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"

 Also make sure there are valid "HorizSync" and "VertRefresh" entries
 in "Monitor" section

 Mixi

 On Wednesday 15 December 2004 15:36, Søren Dyrsting wrote:

 >>> Hi does anyone know about this?
 >>>
 >>> I have just installed the current Sarge Debian testing along
 with the
 >>> official NVIDIA-driver from NVIDIA's own development.
 >>>
 >>> It seems to work fine, except that I can't get resolution higher
 than
 >>> 800x600. Anything else than the native resolution 1280x1024 on
 my LG tft
 >>> screen looks ugly.
 >>>
 >>> Facts:
 >>>
 >>> * It worked fine on Mandrake 9.2 on the same hardware.
 >>>
 >>> * the nvidia driver is loaded and running. Splashscreen is
 showing etc.

 >>> * the NVIDIA system posts several messages like this in my
 >>> "/var/log/XFree86.0.log":
 >>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (vrefresh out
 of range)
 >>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "512x384" (vrefresh out
 of range)
 >>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "1024x768" (vrefresh out
 of range)
 >>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "512x384" (vrefresh out
 of range)
 >>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "1280x960" (hsync out of
 range)
 >>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (hsync out of
 range)
 >>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (hsync out of
 range)
 >>> (II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "640x512" (hsync out of
 range)
 >>> (WW) (1600x1200,L1715S) mode clock 162MHz exceeds DDC maximum 140MHz
 >>>
 >>> * I am running kernel 2.6.8
 >>>
 >>> * I have disabled GLcore and dri and enabled GLX
 >>>
 >>> Does anyone have an idea here, which doesn't involve rebuilding
 kernels?
 >>> Sorry, I am a bit idealistic about not building kernels. It is
 only for
 >>> configuration and trimming of special purpose systems, which I don't
 >>> think a regular standard desktop Linux ever should be. Perhaps I
 don't
 >>> belong i the testing branch then :-)
 >>>
 >>> Anyway, has anyone experienced the something like this?
 >>>

 >>> Regards
 >>> SYren