More on: Cannot load GNOME under Sarge

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Jim Seymour wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > 	Still have not been able to run GNOME on Sarge. If I try to boot
> > into GNOME I get a very brief view of a splash screen and then a small
> > window pops up in the corner of the screen with the following message:
> >
> > "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon."
> >
> > "Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not
> > work correctly."
> >
> > "The Settings Daemon restarted too many times."
> >
> > "The last error message was:"
> > "Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SetingsDaemon'"
> >
> > "GNOME will try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in"
> >
> > There is a close button in the corner of this window. I can close that
> > window however I have to cntrl-alt-f2 in order to be able to login as
> > root to reboot. This is the same message I have been getting every since
> > I installed Sarge a few months ago. KDE is working fine.  Anyone else
> > have a problem getting GNOME up?

When I first installed Debian I discovered I was missing a needed
package for GNOME. Although that never fixed the problem I was poking
around in the GNOME packages again and found out I supposedly do not
have gnome-control-center installed. An apt-get install
gnome-control-center gave an ominous message about removing gnome-core.

nuthatch:/home/jim# apt-get install gnome-control-center
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  gnome-desktop-data libeel2-2 libeel2-data libgail-common libgail17
  libgnome-desktop-2 libmetacity0 libnautilus2-2
libstartup-notification0
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome-core
  gnome-control-center gnome-desktop-data libeel2-2 libeel2-data
  libgail-common libgail17 libgnome-desktop-2 libmetacity0
libnautilus2-2
  libstartup-notification0
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 3558kB of archives.
After unpacking 7664kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Ideas? I am grasping at straws here. I used Red Hat before and am
not that far into the Debian learning curve.

Thanks,

Jim Seymour