Re: Installing sid

Svein E. Seldal wrote:
> Whats the best approach to install sid?

Install 'stable' then dist-upgrade to 'unstable'.  It is not usually
possible to install 'unstable' directly.  Get to a working 'stable'
system first and then upgrade.

> I have a machine where I have installed the minimum base system of
> woody (using bootimage bf2.4). Then I edit /etc/apt/sources.list and
> replace all instances of 'stable' with 'unstable'. When I do an
> "apt-get update", and then "apt-get dist-upgrade", it downloads 76
> packages.

Only 76 packages?  I would expect more packages would be needed.  You
have have either a very minimul system to begin with or something else
is wrong.  That number is way too small.

> I used this procedure on another machine 1 month ago, and then it works.
> But now it doesn't, and I dont understand why.

The unstable track is sometimes unstable.  Living on the bleeding edge
means that sometimes you get cut by the cutting edge technology.  :-)

> So my question is simply on how to get a system up and running with
> sid... Anyone else with other ways to acheive it?

  apt-get dist-upgrade
  debug problems
  sleep 1-2 weeks
  repeat as needed

You should be able to figure out what the dependency issues causing
trouble are and be able to resolve them, perhaps by using older
versions any packages that have problems.

Bob