Re: libgd-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.6.1 but it is not installable

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 04:03:56PM +0200, Medini, Duccio wrote:
> I'm fairly new to debian 'testing'.
> Trying to install perl-related software, I recieve a chain of unmet
> dependences that seems to conclude at:
> wallace:~# apt-get install libgd-perl
> [...]
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   libgd-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.6.1 but it is not installable
> E: Sorry, broken packages

libgd-perl (1.40-1 to 1.41-7)
    Maintainer: Jonas Smedegaard
    Too young, only 9 of 10 days old
    Not considered

In other words, you probably just need to wait a day or two for the
fixed libgd-perl to arrive in testing.

> I have perl 5.8 installed, though:
> wallace:~# dpkg -l '*perl*' |grep '^ii'
> ii  libperl5.8     5.8.0-17       Shared Perl library.
> ii  perl           5.8.0-17       Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and
> Report
> ii  perl-base      5.8.0-17       The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish
> Lister.
> ii  perl-modules   5.8.0-17       Core Perl modules.
>
> If I understand correctly the FAQs, it's normal to have such a kind of
> broken packages in testing (in fact I see that libgd-perl is marked
> uninstallable, and perlapi unavailable).

It's not especially normal, although it does sometimes happen. The perl
transition was painful.

perlapi-5.6.1 was provided by perl-base 5.6.1. perl-base 5.8.0 provides
perlapi-5.8.0 instead.

Cheers,