Horrid fonts after apt-get upgrade to Xfree 4.2.1-6

Hi,
Today i apt-get upgraded a whole bunch of xfree86-related packages (like
50 mb). I was already running Xfree86 4.2 which i had installed from a
apt-get.org backport to woody, as ive upgraded to sarge like a month
ago.
I also have installed KDE 3.1 and idesk (a program that will place icons
on my fluxbox desktop) from sid. I run the nvidia drivers i have
installed using nvidia-installer.
After an X restart, i found 2 big problems:
1) OpenGL isnt working and will crash the server if I try to use it.
2) Fonts look horrible (no anti aliasing)
The 1st problem was solved by editing the brand new XF86Config-4 file
and reinstalling the nvidia drivers.
The 2nd remains unsolved. All the fonts in GTK+ apps suck, and so do
those in mozilla/phoenix.
Strangely, the fonts in kde3 apps, idesk and rox-filer (a lightweight
file manager based on GTK2) look just fine. All these apps are from sid.
I was told the problem might be on Xft2. Honestly i dont know if xft2
was installed today or i already had installed it before. Someone also
said that i could solve it by giving to xft2 the right paths to fonts,
but i cant find where this config is. Adding the paths found in
/etc/X11/config/fs to /etc/X11/XftConfig wont solve the problem.
I have no idea of what to do. I run xfs but i have installed xfstt and a
package of non-free true type fonts today hoping it will solve my
problem.
Anyway, i would appreciate any hints before this thing makes me blind -
or even worst, makes me reboot to THAT OTHER OS.
Thx

-- GomoX