Install Sarge into vmware fails

Hi Michael,

Michael May schrieb:
> Please use this template when filling out installation reports, and file
> the report as a bug report against the "installation-reports" pseudo
> package.

I'm bloody new to Debian, please give me time to understand the form
procedure. I'm trying to install Sarge/Testing in vmware using the
netinstall CD image from 2003-10-08.

Here are my observations:

1. The pcnet32 module is detected (and loaded?) but later the installer
says it could not be loaded. I have to repeat the NIC detection step, then
it works. No problems with other kernel modules

2. Why not choose the german mirror by default when I chose German as my
language? Yeah, the US mirror could be faster, but a default is always good
for load-balancing, isn't it?

3. I've got problems with the partitioning, so why are the mirror settings
collected before this step is completed? What about changing the order?

4. Partitoning: I've chosen reiserfs for / but the installer hangs, even
saying "y" to mkreiserfs on console 3 doesn't help. ext3 works!
What about a better tool than cfdisk?

5. After formatting a base system is installed. But then a automatic
partition starts. Why again? Anyway, I can not get beyond this point,
because I get repeated "unable to re-read part. table" errors from the
installer. Rebooting and retrying does not help. :-(

I hope these comments are of any value for you. What can I try to get it
installed? Should I try the daily netinstall ISO image?

greetings,
	boris