Re: kde3 for sarge

On Saturday 01 March 2003 06:21, Nicolas Velasquez wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I was just wondering is kde3 too far from sarge, are there some time
> estimations???

You could try to use unofficial packages, like the ones found here :

http://devel-home.kde.org/~nolden/kde

I upgraded my sarge system with those and everything works great.

Then again, before I did the upgrade I made a complete backup of my system
using the cpfs.reiserfs command from an old Mandrake partition that was still
around. I mean, if things would have gone wrong I could have gone back to
2.2.2 in five minutes. Since I'm not very good at all in dealing with
complicated dependency problems I like to play safe in these kind of
situations.

Having said that, the upgrade worked great for me. The only things I needed to
do were 1) adjust my sources.list 2) apt-get update 3) apt-get dist-upgrade
4) wait for five hours while donloading 5) enjoy my new shiny kde 3.1
environment.

Beware though that using unofficial packages will get you out of sync with the
official sarge tree. And things that work fine on my system might not work on
your system at all. So do try it out if you're a little adventurous, but
please be aware of what you're doing. (Subscribing to the debian-kde list
might be a good idea too.)

Kat