Re: no network after compiling new kernel

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 06:18:13PM -0400, aeleblanc@olgc.on.ca wrote:
> immediately after installing woody and confirming everything was working
> ok, I compiled a new kernel 2.4.19-pre8 and my network connection
> disappeared.  the eth0 device is there and the driver is compiled into the
> kernel properly, i think the problem is that DHCP Isn't running, I don't
> see anything in /var/log/messages or in the dmesg regarding a network
> connection, i just see that the ethernet cards are detected properly.  how
> can i get the network running again?

I had similar some time ago. The problem in my case  was that I didn't have
socket filtering compiled into my kernel. Without it the standard dhcp
client shipped with debian/woody doesn't work. You may try to find out
if it's the same with you by setting your interfaces manually (if you
don't know how: man ifconfig is a good thing to begin with). Just assign
the same IP addresses, gateways and masks to your interfaces your dhcp
client would fetch if it worked properly. If the network is then up I
suppose you'll have to compile the following options into your kernel:
Networking option->socket-filtering, also I recommend the option pocket
socket as well. Install your the kernel again and try to reboot.