woody upgrade fails horribly

I've been running woody fine on a couple of systems, and decied to upgrade
my potato system.  The "apt-get dist-upgrade" failed horribly, and the
bug reports have been bouncing around since.  Noone wants to accept
responcibility for this mess.  The apt maintainer closed 135180,
the libstdc++2.10-dev maintainer didn't believe he was at fault and
blamed libdb2, so bug 135651 is currently assigned there.

Since then I have been able to get my system partially back (X not
tested yet) but most users wouldn't have the skills or patience to do
an upgrade by trial and error dpkg -i installing and removal of
non-vital packages till you find something that will install so you
can install its dependencies, etc.

scripts of the mess are available from http://www.blars.org/obfuscate/

--
Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org