Re: woody upgrade fails horribly

Have you seen my recent postings on this subject?

Did you upgrade apt and dpkg before you did the dist-upgrade?

If you didn't do this, many things break on install. These breakages are
not the fault of the packages that get involved, but the fault of an old,
incapable apt-get. The newest version works much better.

Luck,

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Blars Blarson wrote:

> I've been running woody fine on a couple of systems, and decied to upgrade
> my potato system.  The "apt-get dist-upgrade" failed horribly, and the
> bug reports have been bouncing around since.  Noone wants to accept
> responcibility for this mess.  The apt maintainer closed 135180,
> the libstdc++2.10-dev maintainer didn't believe he was at fault and
> blamed libdb2, so bug 135651 is currently assigned there.
>
> Since then I have been able to get my system partially back (X not
> tested yet) but most users wouldn't have the skills or patience to do
> an upgrade by trial and error dpkg -i installing and removal of
> non-vital packages till you find something that will install so you
> can install its dependencies, etc.
>
> scripts of the mess are available from http://www.blars.org/obfuscate/
>
> --
> Blars Blarson 					blarson@blars.org
> 				http://www.blars.org/blars.html
> "Text is a way we cheat time." -- Patrick Nielsen Hayden
>

> --

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-