Some thoughts on a clean Woody install

Hello,

(BTW, Who should I contact about the list of mirrors presented during
install? Does that only contain the http.*.debian.org machines? I guess
it will probably remain like that.  )-:

I did a clean install of Woody today, went really well, imo. Used the
bf2.4 flavour, had nice reiserfs option and all, and I only needed two
disks, the rest came neatly off the network.

I'd say in this install, the only thing that bothered me was the old
favourite of the difficulty of getting a good selection of packages
installed. For an average desktop system, there's basically only a
"desktop environment" task that is relevant - in my case I didn't want
to install it, as I want to go with KDE instead of Gnome. (This install
is for a friend, btw.) And of course there is no KDE task. I'm hoping
there will be in 3.1, once we can collect stats on how many people
actually do run KDE?

I do feel KDE should be easier to install. The "kde" meta package
(source package meta-kde) is not yet in Woody, I really hope it will
make it, I'll check out it's bugreports etc.

Last thing, could one maybe install read-edid by default for ... um,
maybe desktop-environment if it musn't be part of the more basic "X
window system" task, it just makes the X configuration that little bit
easier, imho. (To get the most out of your monitor, of course it is very
easy to just say how many inches your monitor is, the X packages really
are very cool...)

Hugo