Re: New upgrade report, potato to woody.

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 11:43:12PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> 4. I still had some minor issues with X but they were much easier to deal
>    with.
>
>    First: It appears that wdm was removed, and xdm was installed in its
>           place.  While I'm not certain that wdm was installed during the
>           potato install, (I did a "simple" install) but I'm sure I
>           removed xdm after the potato install.

I don't know why wdm would be removed, given the current package
relationships in woody.  apt's problem resolver output might be helpful
here.

>   Second: For obvious reasons, xserver-svga is upgraded, but
>           xserver-xfree86 is not installed. This is expected and easy to
>           deal with.

Indeed; I strongly recommend the x-window-system package to anyone who
lacks the time or inclination to understand the details of Debian's
packaging of the X Window System.

>  Suggest: If you have X and want to use wdm instead of xdm (your choices
>           here may vary) and upgrade to the xfree86 server, do:
>
>                    apt-get remove xdm
>                    apt-get install wdm xserver-xfree86

Removing xdm is unnecessary.  All 4 display managers coexist peacefully
in woody.  A debconf question decides which one manages :0.

> Debconf does a sterling job of constructing a working config file, and all
> the dependencies are met by the newly installed apt/dpkg.

That's good to hear.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Never attribute to malice that
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     which can be adequately explained