Re: New upgrade report, potato to woody.

On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 11:43:12PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> OK, I've finally completed my second attempt at a smooth potato upgrade to
> woody. Things went much better this time, but there are still some slight
> gotcha's that will need to be detailed in the upgrade notes.
>
> 1. I highly recomment doing a 'dpkg -l >old-packages.list' before the
>    upgrade.
>
> 2. Before doing the upgrade, but after an 'apt-get update', first do:
>
>          apt-get install apt dpkg apt-utils
>
> 3. Now an 'apt-get dist-upgrade' is possible, but when the smoke clears it
>    is still necessary to do 'apt-get -f install' to clean up some minor
>    messes.

The release notes _do_ say this, more or less. At least they did when I last
checked...

>    I've added apt-utils to this pre-upgrade list because debconf complains
>    that it isn't installed otherwise, and fails to do its thing.

Actually it merely postpones its thing. The warning was rephrased recently
to sound less fatal...

Anyway, I don't see why you're posting to -devel, it'll just get lost among
the other few thousands on -devel... now if you Cc:ed -doc as the release
notes advises...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.