Re: New upgrade report, potato to woody.

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 11:43:12PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > 4. I still had some minor issues with X but they were much easier to deal
> >    with.
> >
> >    First: It appears that wdm was removed, and xdm was installed in its
> >           place.  While I'm not certain that wdm was installed during the
> >           potato install, (I did a "simple" install) but I'm sure I
> >           removed xdm after the potato install.
>
> I don't know why wdm would be removed, given the current package
> relationships in woody.  apt's problem resolver output might be helpful
> here.

Well, it wasn't clear that I had actually installed in in the potato
install, as I used the various X tasks from the simple install, which
leaves you pretty much in the dark as to what actually gets installed, and
I didn't follow my own advice about 'dpkg -l >oldpackages.list'. You are
probably correct, and is just wasn't installed in Potato.

> >   Second: For obvious reasons, xserver-svga is upgraded, but
> >           xserver-xfree86 is not installed. This is expected and easy to
> >           deal with.
>
> Indeed; I strongly recommend the x-window-system package to anyone who
> lacks the time or inclination to understand the details of Debian's
> packaging of the X Window System.

This works fine for a fresh install, but no such package is offered during
an upgrade...

> >  Suggest: If you have X and want to use wdm instead of xdm (your choices
> >           here may vary) and upgrade to the xfree86 server, do:
> >
> >                    apt-get remove xdm
> >                    apt-get install wdm xserver-xfree86
>
> Removing xdm is unnecessary.  All 4 display managers coexist peacefully
> in woody.  A debconf question decides which one manages :0.

Thanks for the pointer. I stopped using xdm back when it hung the machine
when a faulty config was present. Anyway, I like wdm's login much better.

> > Debconf does a sterling job of constructing a working config file, and all
> > the dependencies are met by the newly installed apt/dpkg.
>
> That's good to hear.

This makes the configuration of X almost simple enough for any idiot to
install it. At least I had no trouble ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-