Re: report for b-f 2002-02-17

Eduard Bloch writes:
 > #include <hallo.h>
 > Jeff Sheinberg wrote on Tue Feb 19, 2002 um 04:38:46PM:
 >
 > > Install method - download rescue & root floppies along with
 > > drivers.tgz file to a local partition.  Created local basedebs
 > > tarball using debootstrap.  Booted from floppy disk.
 >
 > When? Which plattform?

Sorry for the typo in the "Subject:", that should be 2002-02-07
for arch i386.

 > >       because the partition containing these files is of type
 > >       ext3, which is not supported by the 2.2.20 kernel, however,
 > >       they should have been mounted as ext2, not as ext3.
 >
 > This has been fixed in 3.0.19, afaik. Please send the log if you can
 > reproduce the problem with _this_ release.

Here is an excerpt from the /var/log/installer.log file,

    Feb 19 14:51:05 (none) user.info dbootstrap[256]: Mounting ext2 partition /dev/hda9 on /target
    Feb 19 14:51:05 (none) user.debug dbootstrap[256]: running cmd 'mount -t ext2 /d ev/hda9 /target'
    Feb 19 14:51:20 (none) user.debug dbootstrap[256]: running cmd 'mount -t ext3 -r /dev/hda6 /instmnt'
    Feb 19 14:51:20 (none) user.info dbootstrap[256]: mount: Mounting /dev/hda6 on / instmnt failed: No such device
    Feb 19 14:51:20 (none) user.err dbootstrap[256]: The partition was not mounted successfully.

note the attempt to mount /dev/hda6 as type ext3.

 > >     o The tzconfig screen does not have a cancel option,
 > >       therefore, if one makes a mistake, one has to fix it after
 > >       having rebooted.  This is especially not nice for a newbie.
 >
 > He? Tzconfig is called from base-config on the reboot system. You can
 > reconfigure just after base-config is done, or even from a second
 > console.

Thanks, but I don't need a workaround, I am reporting a bug that I
consider to be disconcerting for a newbie.

The timezone config program that I am referring to uses a full
screen character oriented display, just like the rest of the
Debian installer that is invoked when I boot the floppy diskette.

I do not remember exactly the contents of this screen, but I am
sure that the problem that I reported (one cannot cancel the
selected timezone, one can only affirm the selected timezone)
definitely did occur.  IIRC, this dialog happened after I
rebooted.

Thanks,
--
Jeff Sheinberg  <jeffsh@erols.com>