report for b-f 2002-02-17

Hi,

I was able to do a complete install (dselect using apt-get over a
dialup ppp connection), however, there were a few problems.  Also,
I noticed that some prior problems had been fixed.

Install method - download rescue & root floppies along with
drivers.tgz file to a local partition.  Created local basedebs
tarball using debootstrap.  Booted from floppy disk.

Outstanding problems,

    o The shadow boxes and scroll bars are still rendered
      incorrectly during the debootstrap step.

      After I then rebooted, this problem did not manifest anymore
      for those configuration screens that use these features.

    o I could not use the "hard disk" method to install the
      drivers nor to install the basedebs.  This is probably
      because the partition containing these files is of type
      ext3, which is not supported by the 2.2.20 kernel, however,
      they should have been mounted as ext2, not as ext3.

      As I workaround, I used the "mounted" method to install the
      drivers and the basedebs, which was able to mount the ext3
      partition as ext2.

    o The tzconfig screen does not have a cancel option,
      therefore, if one makes a mistake, one has to fix it after
      having rebooted.  This is especially not nice for a newbie.

Fixed problems,

    o The MBR is no longer over-written when installing lilo only
      to a partition boot record.

    o Lilo is correctly installed into an extended partition boot
      record (/dev/hda9), and was booted correctly from there by
      my boot selector program (grub).

    o Pppconfig is run before attempting to start ppp.

Thanks,
--
Jeff Sheinberg  <jeffsh@erols.com>