Re: Bug in pcmcia-cs install script?

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> schrieb:

> Frank Fürst wrote:
> > Hm, why not? It messed up my network configuration, which I wouldn't
> > expect if I upgrade potato to a _stable_ woody. Of course, I don't
> > complain now. But how will that be handled in the future?
>
> You were presented with a prompt that gave you the choice of replacing
> it, keeping your existing working file, viewing a diff of the changes,
> or getting a shell to do whatever. It defaulted to keeping your existing
> working file. If you chose to replace it with the new one and not merge
> in your changes, then that is your operator error.

Yes, that's right. However:

1. The files looked *very* different; to me it seemed that the syntax
must have changed. In fact that wasn't the case (at least I think that
now), it was just additional variables, different order and much more
comments. But at a first and second glance I thought that the old file
would never work with the new pcmcia-cs.

2. The file hadn't been created by me, but by a script. So I didn't know
anything about it, neither syntax nor where it's documented, or when it
had been created.

Perhaps that is a general problem with conffiles generated by scripts, I
don't know if there is a way to deal with this that fits to all cases.

But I would expect that a file that has been created by a configuration
script asking me questions is never replaced by a sample file. Why not
ask wether to re-run the script (or its successor) - this would be done
anyway if I didn't upgrade, but add pmcia to a system that previously
didn't have that.

Bye, Frank