Re: Bug in pcmcia-cs install script?

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 15:26, Joey Hess wrote:
> Frank Fürst wrote:
> > Hm, why not? It messed up my network configuration, which I wouldn't
> > expect if I upgrade potato to a _stable_ woody. Of course, I don't
> > complain now. But how will that be handled in the future?
>
> You were presented with a prompt that gave you the choice of replacing
> it, keeping your existing working file, viewing a diff of the changes,
> or getting a shell to do whatever. It defaulted to keeping your existing
> working file. If you chose to replace it with the new one and not merge
> in your changes, then that is your operator error.

Uh, that's what _normally_ happens, but not in this case, I don't
believe.

My system was a bit odd, because when I installed woody, in order
to get pcmcia working with my devices, I had to grab pcmcia-cs and
pcmcia-source from sid. So a straight dist-upgrade might have different
behavior.

When modern pcmcia* finally made it into woody, the apt-get upgrade
process did something to break my pcmcia. I _believe_, as the original
poster said, it silently replaced a critical config file.

Yup, I'm booted into potato but a quick examination shows that on my
woody partition /etc/default/pcmcia was silently replaced. And with
"PCIC=" .

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\