Re: some kind of trouble

> > I've found such a problem with my installation of Woody:
> > Whenever I heavily switch between the console and my X-server eventually
> > the consoles become unvisable - I mean the screens are illegible thought

> I don't know if this is the problem for you, but I've heard that many
> people have problems if they're using a framebuffer.  Some of the
> framebuffer drivers are perhaps less robust than they could be.  Some

Some of my experiences:

I have an ATI Radeon. I have experienced the text-mode consoles going
crazy (not displaying things, displaying only every second line,
sometimes, displaying garbage. Not the "resetable" kind). I found I
could "restore" text mode by loading radeonfb. So for now I'm actually
running radeonfb all the time. Is it then best to turn on the "UseFBDev"
option in X, or might it be better to leave it off?

I have pretty much "destroyed" my output (I'm sure the machine was still
functioning, but I had to reboot if I wanted to see anything ;) by
unloading the radeonfb driver, and reloading it ... while X was running.
I think generally unloading fb drivers is a bad idea. That time I did it
because my fb was also messed up. (I think I did not have UseFBDev
turned on.)

Hugo van der Merwe