Re: some kind of trouble

This one time, at band camp, Tomasz Cichecki said:
> Hi!
>
> I've found such a problem with my installation of Woody:
> Whenever I heavily switch between the console and my X-server eventually
> the consoles become unvisable - I mean the screens are illegible thought
> you can access the X-server on tty8, suprisingly because it was supposed
> to sit on tty7 :) I really don't know what's going on. And it was the
> first thing to face when I installed Woody some time ago - I thought than
> that simply recompiling the kernel would help - or my bios settings could
> be better adjusted but I've been testing all the kernels and patches since
> some time (the best thing to play with for me ;-) and nothing helps. Maybe
> somebody had similar problem. Below you also find all the details about my
> configuration:
> processor: celeron 433A
> mb: DFI - CB-61 Rev.B+ (i440BX socket 370)
> svga: S3 TRIO 3D/2X
> ram:128 MB soundblaster64AWE/ISA
> I would really appreciate any comments - I would also like to know how to
> isolate such a problem to maybe deel with it myself (dreams...
> dreams, dreams dreams... :)))
>
> best regards
> 	Tomek
I don't know if this is the problem for you, but I've heard that many
people have problems if they're using a framebuffer.  Some of the
framebuffer drivers are perhaps less robust than they could be.  Some
questions, I guess, to help isolate the problem:
If you type 'reset' does that clear the console?
Are all the consoles screwed up, or just the one you've been on?
Are you using framebuffering?
What happens if you kill the Xserver - does it clear a lot of the
garbage up?
What kernel are you running?
Anything else you think is relevant.
Hope this will either help other people help you, or point you to a
solution.
Steve
--
... relaxed in the manner of a man who has no need to put up a front of
any kind.