Re: rtl8139 - detection and installation of two

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 14:36, guran wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am setting up a firewall based by Debian 3.0 Woody and an old Pentium 133
> with two rtl8139 NIC's.
>
> Please notice that these are my observations from a 'top-down' perspective.
>
> Only the first card was fully installed as eth0. After fruitless attempts I
> installed Slackware 8.1 which detected the cards as rtl8139 and rtl8139-e
> (from memory). It too wrote about irq conflicts.
> I reinstalled Woody based on the eth1 card and everything was fine. Then I
> reinstalled with both the cards and found the irq conflict in the dmesg file.
>
> I have now switched the eth1 card to one on via-rhine so I may be on my way.
>
> Is it possible that the detection algoritm is confused by not two equal
> the different card positions.
>
> regards
> guran
> --
> Mandrake Linux 8.2
>

> --

actually i'm also having kind of a problem with 2 rtl8139's. Everything
worked fine until I did an apt-get upgrade a couple of days ago. Now my
ethernet-card that's connected to the DSL modem is having som major
problems getting an IP from the DHCP. At first I thought that dhclient
was buggy so I tried pump but that didn't work either. You have to try
to update the DHCP a numerous times until it gets an IP.

This is not very funny..

Anyone know anything that might have gone wrong? I've tried with a
kernel that i can guarantee worked for 3-4 weeks ago. I'd be very
grateful for help.

--
:: Markus Olsson
:: System-administrator Arvikafestivalen, Galaxen